22 May 2010

Dalian update: Fifth in the javelin throw


On the second and main day of the University Games I managed fifth place in the javelin throw. A top five rank is what I was aiming for, so I'm quite pleased with the result! The last time I did this fun field event in athletics was effectively 20 years ago and I was worried about my technique. After all, this discipline is very technical and it is a bit embarrassing if the javelin doesn't even come down the right way. Last week's departmental preliminaries gave me some confidence, however, and yesterday's final was really a trip down memory lane. In the -13y categories I was throwing multiple times a week and scored an official best of 37m40 (still second best of all time in my home region for that age group), but in training I managed to throw beyond 40 metres often. I knew I would not be able to equal that level of performance after 2 decades of 'inactivity', but I am certainly satisfied with my best throw of 30m89. In fact, I was slightly improving attempt after attempt after an initial foul, due to overstepping the mark on the runway. After 3 attempts I was ranked 8th, so I actually got lucky to have three more attempts and improve to 5th place. My main issue was connecting the speed of the runway with the actual throw. That only comes with training of course. The second selectee of our international department, an experienced thrower from Sri Lanka, did everything by the book and won the competition for our department with a best throw of 54m70! He says his personal best is 57 metres. Quite impressive, indeed! The Chinese guy who won silver was within my range with 33 metres...

I have to say I caught the javelin bug again. I found out it is actually possible to use the university's equipment for training during the week, so I might just do that! I don't think I'm capable of throwing 50 metres any time soon, but at least 40 metres would be cool.

Yesterday's second day of the Games was a superb experience to be honest. It was all meticulously organised with great choreography and it all started off with a parade through the stadium. We really felt like Olympians for a moment! When all departmental teams had entered the arena, the Chinese flag was raised and the national hymn was played. Then there were some acrobatic performances, including one on martial arts. Then the heats of the 100m sprint started. The enthusiasm the Chinese exhibited all week long for these Games was just extraordinary. It is just unthinkable that any western University would organise such an event this way. Our international department won two events in the end, the previously mentioned javelin throw and the 4x100m. We had a team composed of a Russian, two Belarussians and an American, who overtook a Chinese competitor just before the finish line.

My grammar teacher and a Thai classmate took dozens of pictures, which I hope to publish on my picasa page as soon as I receive them!

No comments:

Post a Comment