15 May 2010

Dalian update: Granfondo simulation


Great weather again today: blue sky and 22 degrees. Apart from the wind, which you simply have to live with, perfect conditions to implement my plan to do my longest cycling training so far in China.

I have already done several 3,5 to 4 hour rides but today my objective was at least five to approach the general amount of time spent in the saddle during a granfondo event in Europe. After all, it is still my goal to a couple of events towards the end of August and early September, and I am not interested in riding something like the Oetztaler Radmarathon without the aim of improving my best time set in 2006. Yesterday night at the new Hopscotch bar near my appartment I watched my number of drinks carefully and restricted myself to a few Tsingtao beers (very light compared to European brews). Six hours of sleep was sufficient and indeed I immediately felt comfortable on the bike this morning at 10 a.m. I stayed out for 6 hours and 11 minutes with 5h59 of pure riding time. Total altitude gain was 1650 Hm. This rather modest figure is simply due to the absence of a long mountain climb in the Dalian area. Once at the westcoast, I went exploring beyond my usual training area to the north. Unfortunately, I could not find the road that leads to Daheishan, a longer climb, or it was simply still too far away from where I was. In any case, I turned back at some point - very much aware I was facing another fierce battle with the headwind on the western coastal route. All in all, I'm quite pleased with my current fitness level - even when it is hard to judge without engaging in a proper race.

Now time for a good meal ;-)


1 comment: