14 May 2010

Dalian update: life as a student



Phew, after this week I really feel like a student again! The past three days we had tests, and even when they did not count for anything there was still some sort of pressure on. As of Monday, all people were talking about was the tests, so you automatically get somewhat anxious about them. The whole week I did not do much else but going to class in the morning and review everything we have learnt so far in the afternoon. I only took some time out for two bikerides and at night I was happy to just sit back and relax while watching the Giro d' Italia. Hence, the silence on this blog.

The tests went more or less as expected for me. Yesterday our kouyu teacher (speaking and pronounciation) said my pronounciation is very good. My main issue remains the Chinese characters. There's so many new ones to get into your head each week you tend to forget the older and not so commonly used ones again.

Many students here have an iPhone and with that they can download a fantastic interactive dictionary. You can look up absolutely everything with it, and for every character or pinyin word it gives you loads of suggestions. I look very old-fashioned here with my paperback Oxford dictionary...

In between all these tests and studying hours there were also the "trials" for the University sports championships that take place next week on Friday. Each Uni department can be represented by maximum three people in each discipline. As mentioned a few weeks ago, I had signed up for the javelin throw and shot put competition so last Wednesday afternoon I was expected to present myself at the sports stadium. I had six (javelin) and seven (shot put) rivals in the international department of my University. There wasn't much time for a warm-up, but the moment I had the javelin in my hand the vibes of twenty years ago returned instantly. Each participant had two attempts. Mine weren't super long throws, but far enough to beat the rest easily. What counted for me was that it was a good throw from a technical point of view, something which could not be said from several of the other people. The throws were not measured for some reason, only the rankings from 1 to 3 were significant it seemed. I'm also "qualified" for the shot put. On the basis of my performance during the warm-up, though. Suddenly, the gardener of the university appeared onto the lawn next to the stadium, where we were having the competition. He complained his head off because we were making big holes in "his" lawn ;-)

Anyway, my chances for victory next week in the javelin seem limited. I have been told of a Chinese guy who last year threw 45 metres, and that may just be a little too far for me without any training.

Tomorrow I'm planning a marathon cycling ride in the Development Zone together with Martin and a few people. Plan is to climb Daiheishan as well. Apparently, a rather fanatic triathlete aka cyclist originally from Iceland has appeared in town. I will meet him next week over coffee. Would be good to have someone to train with who is more or less of my current level. Unfortunately, the Chinese riders I've encountered so far are not particularly strong uphill.

I have uploaded the pictures I took from Jiu Hua Shan, and have also added a few to my Nanjing and Dalian albums.
Anhui - Jiu Hua Shan



No comments:

Post a Comment